Herb Pesto Asparagus Quinoa
1 cup uncooked quinoa (approx. 3 cups cooked)
⅔ cup cilantro
⅔ cup dill
⅔ cup basil (stems removed)
¼ cup wheat free tamari/braggs
1 cup raw almonds
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup diced sweet onion
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
½ cup olive oil (+2 tablespoons oil for sauté)
1 teaspoon pepper
2 ½ cups chopped asparagus (approx. 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus)
1. Rinse quinoa in cold water.
2. Add quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer with a lid until quinoa is cooked and water is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
4. Mix herbs, tamari, almonds, lemon, and onion in a large food processor or a high-powered blender.
5. Discard the hard bottom portion of each asparagus stalk. This is done by breaking off the stem where it naturally bends (where the softer part of the stalk meets the tougher part).
6. Wash and cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large sauté pan.
8. Cook pieces of asparagus in the pan for about 6 minutes, and once cooked add the herb pesto sauce from blender and a squeeze of lemon. Heat the sauce for about 1-2 minutes then add cooked quinoa.
9. Mix gently until the quinoa is heated and covered in sauce.