Crust and Topping
8 large medjool dates – pitted and soaked in warm water
2 tablespoons flax meal
4 tablespoons water
1 ¼ cup rolled oats (gluten free)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened sulfur free coconut flakes
½ cup blanched almond meal
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon warmed coconut oil
3 cups of frozen blueberries
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons arrowroot flour (or powder or starch)
2 teaspoons cold water
Crust and Topping
1. Preheat oven to 350∞
2. Boil water and cover dates in a bowl to start soaking. Leave to soak for at least 10 minutes, or until use.
3. Add flax meal and 4 tablespoons water to a small bowl or cup and leave soaking until use.
4. Blend coconut flakes in Cuisinart and add to a mixing bowl.
5. Remove pits from dates, then add oats, sea salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and dates to Cuisinart and blend until ingredients are mixed well and resemble a dough.
6. Add almond meal to mixture in Cuisinart and pulse a few times.
7. Pour this mixture into the bowl with ground coconut, and add warmed coconut oil and soaking flax meal. Mix very well with hands so that a dough like mixture forms.
8. Tightly pack a ½ cup of crust mixture and set aside for topping.
9. Grease 8’ x 8’ square baking pan with coconut oil if you do not have a non-stick pan. Put the rest of the crust mixture into this pan.
10. Use your hands to tightly pack the crust so that it is evenly spread and level.
1. Combine arrowroot with 2 tsp water; stir to dissolve.
2. Puree the blueberries in Cuisinart.
3. Add blueberry puree, honey, and lemon zest to pan and heat on medium. Once bubbling, stir at this temperature for 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low, add arrowroot mixture, and stir well for another full minute. Turn heat off to let cool.
1. Pour the cooled blueberry mixture over crust and spread evenly with a big spoon or spatula.
2. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup crust topping over this. Make sure the topping is equally distributed and gently press the topping into the fruit so it merges together during cooking.
3. Bake for 25 minutes then leave out to cool. Once cooled, place into fridge for at least two hours, can be left overnight.
4. Cut into pieces and enjoy!