Tomato Spinach Lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup white onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 cup red lentils
1 tablespoon ginger juice
1 can (796ml) diced tomatoes, with juices (organic and BPA-free can)
2+1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
1 cup water
1 cup celery, chopped into slivers
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon braggs liquid amino acids
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups spinach, packed
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped + more for garnish
1. Makes sure all of your ingredients are properly prepped.
2. In a large soup pot over low-medium heat, add the olive oil and allow it to heat up for 10-15 seconds.
2. Add the onion and garlic, stir well and let cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the turmeric, sea salt and jalapeno, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the lentils and ginger juice, mix well so the lentils are evenly coated. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, celery, water, braggs, cumin and cayenne. Mix everything together well and turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a low boil.
6. Once boiled, reduce the heat down to medium and leave it to simmer for 18 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat, add in the spinach, cilantro and lime juice. Stir well until spinach is wilted.
8. Add more salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with fresh cilantro.
9. Once cooled completely, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or placed in the freezer for 1 month.