Herbed Cashew with Roasted Beet
Herbed Cashew Dip
Yields: 1+1/8 cup
1 cup soaked cashews
1 tablespoon chopped white onion
1/8 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon pressed garlic
1 tablespoon of chopped thyme
¾ teaspoon of sea salt – use a ½ tsp only if you plan on topping with any more salt, or salty sauce
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Yields: Approx. 36 beet rounds
3 medium beets, roasted, peeled and very thinly sliced using a mandolin
3 teaspoon olive oil, separated (1 teaspoon per beet)
Sprinkle of sea salt
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoon onion powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Coat the beets in olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours (they are ready when a knife can poke through the centre).
3. Once beets are done, set aside to completely cool.
4. In the meantime, place all of your prepared Herbed Cashew ingredients into a high speed food processor or blender and blend on high until creamy (this can take up to 5 minutes).
5. Once the beets are cooled, cut both ends off slightly and rub the beet with your hands to remove the outer layer (this should peel off very easily).
6. Using a mandolin, slice the beets into very thin pieces. Place these pieces into a medium sized bowl and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and onion powder. With your hands, toss very gently to not rip the beets.
7. Allow this to marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
8. Take one marinated beet piece and scoop in 1 teaspoon of herbed cashew dip, fold the beet in half to have all of the outer edges sealed.
9. Continue this way with the rest of your beet slices.
10. Serve with arugula, cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.