Curry Lentils and Asparagus Ribbons
1 ½ cup red lentils
3 tbsps coconut oil
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp finely grated ginger – peeled
1 tbsp pressd garlic
2 cups finely chopped sweet onions
3 cups water
2 tsps sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups asparagus ribbons – 1 large bunch asparagus
2 tbsps chopped shallot
2 tsps lemon juice
1 tsp honey
- Rinse lentils until the water runs clear.
- Heat coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and onions. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and lentils, and stir for another 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, 2 tsps sea salt, ground pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat, cover with lid for 15-20 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts in a dry pan on medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant then set aside. Make sure to continue stirring so they do not burn.
- Break off the harder stem ends of the asparagus and set aside for compost or vegetable stalk.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel thin ribbons of the asparagus by holding the firm end and peeling towards the bud. Once it gets hard to peel, use a knife to slice in half lengthwise and add to asparagus ribbon pile.
- Add olive oil to sauté pan on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot add shallots and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini ribbons and after 4 minutes on medium heat, add lemon juice.
- After 1 more minute turn off heat and add honey and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Place 1 cup of lentils into a bowl or onto a plate.
- Top with a quarter of the asparagus ribbons and a quarter of the pine nuts.
- Garnish with lemon zest or a sprinkle of salt and pepper if desired.