Butternut Squash Soup
1 tablespoons of coconut oil +3 tablespoons
1 butternut squash (approx. 3 cups cooked)
1 red onion diced
2 ½ teaspoons pressed garlic (approx. 5 cloves garlic)
3 tablespoons grated ginger
1 tablespoon medium curry powder
1 cup crushed roasted cashews – unsalted
2 cups water
1 can coconut milk
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice (approx. one lime)
Large pinch of sea salt
Large pinch of pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cut the top of the squash off, cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out.
3. Rub meat with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until done, check after 25 so you can judge how much longer to leave in.
5. When squash is done allow to cool before scooping out the flesh.
6. Heat pot on medium heat and add curry powder to dry toast for about a minute. Once the spices become fragrant add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil to pot.
7. When oil is hot add ginger for a minute then garlic for about 45 seconds and then onions.
8. Sauté together for about 2 minutes then add salt and pepper.
9. Once onions have browned add cashews and stir well.
10.Add squash to mixture and stir.
11.Once squash appears to be evenly mixed with ingredients add water and bring to a boil.
12.Turn to a simmer and add lime juice and coconut milk.
13. Heat to desired temperature, blend with hand held blender.
14. Add cilantro to garnish and serve