Broccoli and Leek Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
4 cups chopped leek — approximately 2 stalks
1 tablespoon garlic, pressed
1 + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, separated
1 + 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, separated
2 teaspoon cumin
6 cups broccoli florets (approx. 2 large crowns)
1 litre mushroom broth
2 cups spinach
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 can coconut milk
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup tahini
1. Put one tablespoon of olive oil into a large pot over medium heat, allow to heat up for about 15 seconds.
2. Add in and sauté the onion and leeks together for 15 minutes.
3. Add in the garlic, 1 teaspoon sea salt, cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, and one more tablespoon of olive oil and stir well, allow to cook together for 7 minutes.
4. Add in the broccoli and combine thoroughly for one minute, cover with broth and heat until the liquid boils, only allow to cook for a maximum of 15 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat and add in the spinach, coconut milk, lemon juice and lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika. Stir well for at least a minute then stir in the tahini.
6. Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender.
7. Serve warm topped with an olive oil drizzle, a pinch of sea salt, and fresh lemon zest.
*Optional – If you like a little more texture to your soup, steam or roast a few extra broccoli florets and add in before serving.