This pate recipe was created for The Class By TT’s Layer Program https://taryntoomey.com/the-layer/ with my favourite new ingredient to work with, psyllium husk. Psyllium is a soluble fiber that plays an important role in binding together excess toxins found throughout the digestive tract and ridding them from the body and it can also be used as at thickening agent like chia or flax. Psyllium helps to support skin health, mental and physical energy, weight management and optimal functioning of the digestive system.
Alongside psyllium there are also sunflower seeds, herbs, carrots and green onion added to the pate making it full of vitamin E, healthy fat, plant based protein and vitamin B12. Check out the recipe below!
SUNFLOWER SEED PATE
Makes: 4 servings (approximately 16 slices)
1+1/4 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons tamari, gluten-free
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped finely
1+1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon green onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons ground psyllium
2 cups carrots (approx. 2 medium carrots), peeled and grated
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Drain and rinse the sunflower seeds.
3. Add the sunflower seeds and all of the above ingredients, except the carrots and ground psyllium, to a high speed food processor.
4. Blend well, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender. Blend until all ingredients are well combined.
5. Pour the blended mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Add the grated carrots and mix together well with your hands.
6. Add the ground psyllium and mix very well with other ingredients.
7. Take a loaf pan and lightly grease the sides and bottom with olive oil.
8. Pour the mixture into the greased pan and set aside for 10 minutes.
9. Place the pan in the oven and cook for 55 minutes.
10. Take out of the oven and let cool completely before serving.
11. Cut into 1/2″ thick strips and serve overtop of butter lettuce with a little dijon mustard, thinly sliced red onion and avocado.
*If you prefer the pate to be crispy, fry the pieces in a pan with a little olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.